OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Saturday 11 December 2010

Advent Calendar Day Eleven: Muppets Retrospective (5/5)

On this day, 1992, The Muppets' Christmas Carol was released. A festive adaptation of Dickens' classic novel, it's always been one of my favourite films, and watching it through again only increased my enthusiasm for it. It's unbelievably surprising how these puppets can effortlessly create realistic feelings of romance, comedy and tragedy to the point that often I could almost genuinely believe they were true actors (okay, so I was young at that time of the first watch). Michael Caine looks much younger than in his modern roles in the Christopher Nolan Batman saga and Inception (despite portraying a wealthy senior), but this doesn't affect his sheer talent and eventual charisma in the role; only he could mix darkness, redemption and song as well as acting alongside puppets. I'm glad I returned to the film, as no time have I ever watched it (and indeed at no point in the year) and become bored from knowing the plot, which still remains true today!

No comments:

Post a Comment