OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Monday 20 December 2010

My Film Of The Year

Let's make something clear: I didn't anticipate for a moment when I saw the first trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One that it would go on to become my favourite film of 2010. After a year chock-full of greats like Toy Story 3, The A-Team and Kick-Ass I thought the fact that the film covered the relatively calm first half of the seventh book would prove its downfall. How wrong I was; battles in the sky, emotions raising the roof, violent confrontations and sexual hallucinations that took the '12' age rating to its absolute limit- Part One was the best Potter flick yet for me, and a sensational stand-alone movie in its own right. The A-Team was hilarious but shallow, Toy Story 3 was tearful but sometimes predictable, Eclipse was action-paced but still featured the same ambiguous romance-based conflicts as always, Kick-Ass kicked ass but felt too unrealistic, Cemetrey Junction lost points for misusing Ricky Gervais and Iron Man 2 wasn't the perfect sequel, so none of those stood out for me as much as this did upon the first viewing. Even Tron: Legacy with its fancy animation and great cast didn't break as many established rules of its franchise as Deathly Hallows did by moving the action out of Hogwarts and into the dark intensity of the human world, so that's why Harry and pals snatched this award. Here's wondering if Part Two can rule 2011 through the massive wave of sequels and prequels set to storm the cinemas!

No comments:

Post a Comment