OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Saturday 15 January 2011

Final Fantasy XIII Impressions

Why not head straight into the review of one of the biggest games of 2010 (that I missed), you say? Simple- Final Fantasy XIII is a long title for Xbox 360, streching to a probable 30 hours of game-play, and I've completed just one of those. What I can give you is my first thoughts on this epic adventure, and I'm glad to say already I'm very impressed. There is a degree of linearity (being goaded down corridors) as some hardcore fans of the Final Fantasy franchise had worried, and yet the superb visuals, sublime soundtrack and gripping plot full of twists, revelations and intertwining lives actually hide this to an extent, driving you forward not because there's no way back, but because you want to see what story development happens next. From what I've heard, Final Fantasy XIII really picks up a few hours in after all the tutorials are done and the complex battle system explained, and that's a pretty exciting thought given the break-neck pace it's already going at. As I mentioned earlier, the visuals are extremely pleasant but moreso realistic, with facial animations and locations looking way beyond the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3's predicted limits (oh, and make no doubt, you will HEAR your console whirring away at this one, trying to keep up but doing an adequate job!). Will Final Fantasy XIII be able to hold my attention for its full lifespan, however? Read my continuing impressions and final review in the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment