OS Cover Image

OS Cover Image

Tuesday 6 September 2011

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Pottermore Impressions

Ever wanted to step through the gates of Hogwarts Castle, to enter a world of magic where the possibilities of endless? Much as I'd love to say Pottermore as is close to that fantasy experience as we're ever going to get, even as a dedicated fan of all things Boy Wizard, so far the beta isn't showing as much promise for the new website as I'd initially hoped. I'll round-up my thoughts on the site so far...
  • There's no music as such yet, something I hope will be remedied so we get the iconic movie series theme tune running throughout. Right now, that gives the site a bit of a hollow feel- yes, I know Facebook doesn't exactly have "You Spin Me Right Round" blaring out everytime you log on, but it does at least have the optional chat notification bleeps, whereas Pottermore has nothing of the sort.
  • Worse still, though, is the lack of actual fun to be had on the site! The premise of reading the books online in split-up segments (called 'Moments', basically involving you having a look round the locations the chapters encompass) sounded dubious when this was first announced, and certainly if you're a newcomer to the series- though I would question your logic for coming here anyway- this stuff is going to feel very disjointed and make little to no sense. Heck, even as a fan this made little sense, bar my knowledge of each chapter's context.
  • Remember, there are 20 chapters per book (at least!)- so that's at least 140 of these 'Moments' to sit through and click aimlessly on. I'm not saying it's like watching Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel in 3D or anything as bad as that, but I'll be bored long before getting to Deathly Hallows, or Priosner of Askaban for that matter, if the makers of the site don't try to find a way to squeeze some more interactivity in.
I'll bring you the full review of the site just before it launches in October, but for now, keep your hopes at a reasonable height rather than through the roof...

No comments:

Post a Comment