We've had a rather busy start to the Summer of Film over the past month or so, what with Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Great Gatsby, Fast Six and The Hangover Part III all launching their way into cinemas. The best is yet to come, though, as June is about to begin showing us- and the best part? Movies are by no means the only exciting releases which the four weeks ahead have to offer.
Indeed, with the biggest annual video gaming event of the year just around the corner, a sensational new Marvel title on its way, a trip back to one of Disney's finest animated franchises and a sensational DVD celebration of a certain 50th Anniversary, June is a month that cannot be skipped under any circumstance. Make no mistake, once we return proper from our hiatus, On-Screen will be the only resource you need in order to work out where to spend your hard-earned cash. Without further ado, then, let's look at June 2013's Top 5 Most Anticipated Releases...
5. MONSTERS' UNIVERSITY- Disney Pixar are bouncing back onto the scene of animated films after the hot success of their sister team's Wreck-It Ralph earlier this year. For Pixar, Monster's Inc. was one of their defining hours in the genre, so it's little wonder that nine years later, the animation team are returning to one of their most acclaimed fictitious universes for more adventures. Get ready to witness Mike and Sully like you've never seen them before, as in the hilarious prequel Monsters' University we'll learn quite what makes them such a scare force to be reckoned with! (Wednesday 19th)
4. DOCTOR WHO: REGENERATION DVD SET- How do you celebrate the history of a televisual science-fiction drama that has been running for half a century? That was the question facing BBC Worldwide, and to answer it they've brought us this spectacular compilation of every final story of all of the past Ten Doctors. That's right- fans can now see for themselves the various regenerations everyone's favourite Time Lord has undergone, as The Tenth Planet, The War Games, Planet of the Spiders, Logopolis, The Caves of Androzani, Time and the Rani, Doctor Who: The Movie, Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways and The End of Time are brought together for the first time via a stunning hardback book-case that truly celebrates 50 Years of Doctor Who. (Monday 24th)
3. DEADPOOL- We've checked this one, and double checked it to boot...and yes, there really is a new video game coming to our shores this month! Jokes aside, Deadpool marks Marvel's latest attempt to aspire to the same heights of video gaming legends as DC did when they struck gold with the Arkham series in 2009, so this writer wishes the team at High Moon Studios all the best of luck. Indeed, if Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is anything to go by, we could be in for something absolutely spectacular here...(Friday 28th)
2. ELECTRONIC ENTERTAINMENT EXPO 2013- With Microsoft having played their hand by announcing the Xbox One, all the cards are laid down and ready to be dealt for the biggest video gaming live event of 2013. You can expect next-generation details, software line-ups, exclusives, upcoming projects and so much more to be revealed by Microsoft and Sony as a new era of gaming launches, so E3 will not be an event to miss, and you can be sure we'll have all the coverage you need post-hiatus. (Monday 10th-Thursday 13th)
1. MAN OF STEEL- Perhaps the most exciting revelation of this coming month, though, will be whether Zack Snyder can pull off a seemingly impossible feat. Man Of Steel represents the ultimate investment of faith from Warner Brothers and DC Studios in Snyder, as he potentially attempts to lay the first foundations in a whole new Justice League film franchise. Can it be done? If there's one man you wouldn't want to bet against, it's Snyder, and with a cast featuring Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner and Laurence Fishborne, this second Summer Of Film superhero entry could be the one to top them all...(Friday 14th)
PLUS: Make sure to look out for other big releases such as a duo of Emma Watson films in This Is The End and The Bling Ring, a Jon Pertwee-era classic novel in Doctor Who: Harvest of Time, an almighty PlayStation 3 exclusive in The Last Of Us and a dazzling take on a Shakespearean legend from Joss Whedon in Much Ado About Nothing, as well as the blockbuster finale of Game Of Thrones Season Three!